Review of 2007 Water Sharing Plans
The Natural Resources Commission (the Commission) and DPI Water have completed independent preliminary reviews of the following plans:
- Water Sharing Plan for the Lower Gwydir Groundwater Source 2003
- Water Sharing Plan for the Upper and Lower Namoi Groundwater Sources 2003
- Water Sharing Plan for the Lower Macquarie Groundwater Sources 2003
- Water Sharing Plan for the Lower Murrumbidgee Groundwater Sources 2003
- Water Sharing Plan for the Lower Murray Groundwater Source
- Water Sharing Plan for the Lower Lachlan Groundwater Source 2003
- Water Sharing Plan for the Paterson Regulated River Water Source 2007
In undertaking these preliminary reviews public submissions were called for.
The Natural Resource Commission prepared a report recommending that all seven plans are replaced. DPI Water supported this recommendation. A copy of the Natural Resource Commission’s report can be found below:
In response to this report the Minister decided to replace all seven plans.
All seven plans have been extended for up to two years to allow the necessary reviews to be undertaken before the plans are replaced.
The extension of the six inland groundwater sharing plans will allow for review of stakeholder submissions, review of plan outcomes, enabling current science and knowledge to be incorporated, and provides an opportunity to improve monitoring, evaluation and reporting. The extension will also allow for the alignment of water sharing plans with Basin Plan water resource plan requirements by 2019.
Consultation for the replacement of the six inland alluvial water sharing plans will be part of the development of water resource plans in these areas. Further information on water resource planning can be found here .
The extension of the Paterson Plan will allow the outcomes of the Hunter Priority Catchments Program to be included in the revised plan.
For the Paterson Regulated River Plan replacement consultation will be targeted initially to affected stakeholders.