This project is reforming the management of water on floodplains through the development of floodplain management plans and licensing of floodplain extractions.
Up to $50 million has been allocated for this project.
This project is being implemented over a five year period across the five northern valleys in NSW's Murray-Darling Basin - the Gwydir, Border Rivers, Namoi and Macquarie, and the unregulated Barwon-Darling River valley.
Licensing of floodplain extractions
The project involves the implementation of the NSW Floodplain Harvesting Policy (PDF, 329.4 KB) to license floodplain harvesting water extractions and make them subject to volumetric limits.
Proposed Floodplain Harvesting Access Licence entitlements for the Gwydir were released in February 2017. The other four valleys will follow over the next two years until December 2018.
Floodplain management planning
Floodplain management planning has begun in all five valleys, with the Floodplain Management Plan for the Gwydir commenced; the Upper Namoi and Barwon-Darling at the post-public exhibition and draft phase of their Floodplain Management Plans, and the Lower Namoi, Macquarie and Border Rivers yet to be put on public exhibition.
View Project Progress (PDF, 64.42 KB) in each Valley.
Register your interest in a floodplain harvesting licence
The 'registration of interest' process for all five northern valleys in NSW's Murray-Darling Basin has now closed.
Individual floodplain harvesting entitlements
Recently, proposed floodplain harvesting entitlements were released to applicable landholders in the Border Rivers valley.
The submission period for individual floodplain harvesting entitlements has been extended to the end of August.
To make a submission on your entitlement, email email@example.com by Thursday 31 August 2017.
To find out more about the Healthy Floodplains project, read or download the following factsheets:
- Accounting for floodplain harvesting in regulated rivers (PDF, 38.34 KB)
- Frequently Asked Questions on the Healthy floodplains project (PDF, 182.43 KB)
- NSW Healthy Floodplains Project (PDF, 56.75 KB)
- NSW Floodplain Harvesting Policy (PDF, 92.54 KB)
- Licensing of Floodplain Extractions (PDF, 66.54 KB)
- Frequently Asked Questions on Floodplain Harvesting (PDF, 182.36 KB)
- Modelling Methodology and Gwydir Valley Results (PDF, 144.41 KB)
- Modelling Methodology and Gwydir Valley Results - Unregulated (PDF, 126.7 KB)
- Valley-wide Floodplain Management Plans
- Modelling Methodology and Border Rivers Valley Results (PDF, 60.43 KB)
On this page
- Register your interest in a floodplain harvesting licence
- More information
- Floodplain harvesting