Water availability outlook and forecasts
To assist with forward planning, DPI Water provides various information products throughout the water year to assist water users in assessing likely future water availability.
In autumn each year, DPI Water preparesa next water year outlook with an indicative water availability forecast over the next water year for the southern basins, where the rules and sharing arrangements are more complex.
Throughout the year, brief climate outlook summaries are provided in the Water Allocation Statement for each valley, and are based on the information from the Bureau of Meteorology's monthly climate outlook. Further information on NSW seasonal conditions and outlooks are also available on the DPI website.
Periodically, forecasts of Available Water Determinations under different climate conditions are available in the Water Allocation Statements for some valleys. This includes the Murray, Murrumbidgee, Lachlan and Macquarie-Cudgegong.
Murray and Murrumbidgee next water year outlook
- NSW Murray Valley and Lower Darling outlook for 2016/17
- Provided as part of 15 February 2016 Water Allocation Statement (PDF, 129.56 KB)
- Murrumbidgee outlook for 2016/17
- Provided as part of 15 February 2016 Water Allocation Statement (PDF, 129.6 KB)
Presentations made to irrigators in July 2016
- NSW Murray Valley resource assessment and allocation (PDF, 970.52 KB)
- NSW Murrumbidgee Valley resource assessment and allocation (PDF, 1148.04 KB)
- Translucent flow rules: Case study from the Murrumbidgee River (PDF, 540.53 KB)
For a web accessible version of this content, call 8838 7900