Draft Floodplain Management Plan for the Lower Namoi Valley Floodplain
The draft Lower Namoi Valley Floodplain Management Plan (plan) includes management zones, rules and assessment criteria for granting or amending approvals for flood works within the plan area.
Information on the draft plan is available for viewing below.
Draft floodplain management plan
The Floodplain Management Plan for the Lower Namoi Valley Floodplain 2018 (PDF, 2724.43 KB) is a detailed legal instrument written in the required statutory format.
Map of plan area
Alternatively, you can view the management zones for the draft plan as a spatial map. Click at any location on the spatial map within the draft Lower Namoi plan area to identify the management zone at that location
The spatial map is best viewed in Google Chrome or Firefox browsers.
Report cards for each management zone have been created to assist you in understanding the draft plan. Report cards provide a summary of the proposed rulesand assessment criteria for each management zone, how they were developed, and other key factors:
- Lower Namoi Management Zone AD – Defined Floodways (PDF, 118.65 KB)
- Lower Namoi Management Zone AID – Ill-defined Floodways (PDF, 901.45 KB)
- Lower Namoi Management Zone B – Flood Storage & Secondary Flood Discharge (PDF, 113.51 KB)
- Lower Namoi Management Zone C – Flood Fringe & Flood Protected Developed Areas (PDF, 102.82 KB)
- Lower Namoi Management Zone CU – Urban Areas (PDF, 114.6 KB)
- Lower Namoi Management Zone D – Special Protection Zone (PDF, 102.54 KB)
Public exhibition period
The draft plan will be on display from Monday 13 February to Thursday 13 April, 2017. All submissions will be considered before finalising the statutory plan.
How to make a submission
Submissions can be made on the submission form (PDF, 35.16 KB) and must be received by:
Post: DPI Water, PO Box 68, Armidale, NSW, 2350
For information related to the privacy and confidentiality of your submission please go to the DPI Water's Privacy and security page.
The closing date for the receipt of submissions is Thursday, 13 April 2017.
Exhibition display venues
Information about the draft plan can be downloaded from this website, and is available at the following locations during the public exhibition period.
Narrabri Library, Doyle St, Narrabri|
Hours: Mon – Fri 10:00 to 17:30, Sat 09:30 to 12 noon
Wee Waa Library, Rose St, Wee Waa|
Hours: Mon – Fri 10:00 to 17:00, Sat 10:00 to 12:00 Wee Waa Local Aboriginal Land Council, Rose St, Wee Waa
Pilliga Community Technology Centre, Dangar St, Pilliga |
Hours: Mon, Tues, Friday 09:00 to 15:00, Wed-Thurs by appointment
Walgett Shire Council, Fox St, Walgett |
Hours: Mon – Fri 09:00 to 17:00
We are offering short individual appointments at the following locations for you to discuss the draft plan. Please call Stacey Winckel on (02) 6774 9585 to book.
- Narrabri, 6th & 7th March
- Wee Waa, 8th March
- Walgett, 9th March
- Pilliga, 10th March
- Draft Rural Floodplain Management Plans: Technical manual (PDF, 2732.88 KB)
A general description of the method employed for development of Floodplain Management Plans across rural New South Wales.
- Draft Rural Floodplain Management Plans: Background document to the Floodplain Management Plan for the Lower Namoi Valley Floodplain 2018 (PDF, 9293.15 KB) and Appendices (PDF, 4385.57 KB)
A description of how the method presented in the Technical Manual has been applied across the lower Namoi valley floodplain and should be read in conjunction with the Technical Manual.
- Floodplain Management Under the Water Management Act 2000: A Guide to the changes (PDF, 136.29 KB)
A guide to the transition of floodplain management planning from the Water Act 1912 to the Water Management Act 2000 in NSW.
- An overview of Floodplain Management Plans under the Water Management Act 2000 (PDF, 108.17 KB)
A general, plain English explanation of the key provisions of floodplain management plans. The overview is a summary that should be read in conjunction with the draft plan.
- Factsheet: Draft Floodplain Management Plan for the Lower Namoi Valley Floodplain 2016 (PDF, 35.99 KB)
More information on floodplains
- Floodplain management plans under development
- The Planning Process
- Plans on exhibition
- NSW Healthy Floodplains Project
- Floodplain management plans commenced
More information on flood work approvals
Floodplain management plans are being developed under the NSW Healthy Floodplains Project which is funded by the Australian Government’s Sustainable Rural Water Use and Infrastructure Program as part of the implementation of the Murray-Darling Basin Plan in NSW.