Water management fees and charges
Three categories of fees and charges are levied for the water management services provided by the Department of Industry – Water (DPI Water):
- Water management charges recover part of the cost of water management services
- Metering/water take assessment charges recover part of the cost of determining your water usage
- Consent transaction fees recover part of the cost of processing your application
The Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal of NSW (IPART) sets the prices that DPI Water can charge for the services we deliver. Fees and charges are adjusted annually for inflation.
For more detailed information on:
- Fees and charges and how they are set, go to Setting fees and charges
The bill for your water licence is issued by WaterNSW on our behalf. You are billed for water management charges accrued during the previous financial year or quarter. Regulated river licence holders pay their charges quarterly. Unregulated river and aquifer access (groundwater) licence holders pay their charges annually. The GST is not applied to any of your water management charges.
The current price for DPI Water determined by IPART commenced on 1 July 2016.
The following tables show the 2016-17 entitlement and water take charges for regulated river, unregulated river and groundwater licences issued under the Water Management Act 2000 and Water Act 1912.
A minimum water management charge applies if your charges in a financial year are less than the minimum annual charge set by IPART.
For the 2016-17 financial year, the minimum annual charge is $151.95.
- 2015-16 water management charges
- 2014-15 water management charges
- 2013-14 water management charges
- 2012-13 water management charges
- 2011-12 water management charges
|Regulated river water management charges 1 July 2016 to 30 June 2017|
|River Valley||Entitlement Charge|
$/UNIT of entitlement
|Water Take Charge|
$/UNIT of water used
* WaterNSw licences in South Coast unregulated rivers attract an additional charge of $0.86 per ML
In this section
- Water management charges 2015-16
- Water management charges 2014-15
- Water management charges 2013-14
- Water management charges 2012-13
On this page
- Your water licence bill
- Water management charges
- Regulated river entitlement and water take charges
- Unregulated river entitlement and water take charges
- Groundwater entitlement and water take charges
- Where can I get more information?