Basins and catchments
The NSW Office of Water manages groundwater and surface water resources in various basins and catchments throughout the state.
Find out about the water resources and water management issues, including real-time water data in all New South Wales catchments including these major areas:
Find your catchment
Go to your location on the map below, and click to read the relevant catchment snapshot. To explore your catchment in detail at street level, via satellite, terrain or 3D images. Please note the boundaries shown are a guide only. For more functionality view this map in a new window.
Monitoring, evaluation and reporting
The NSW Office of Water plays an important role in researching and reporting on rivers, groundwater and catchment health. Find out more about the health of catchments throughout NSW on this website at Water management > Monitoring > Catchments.
NSW Office of Water is currently developing detailed catchment description reports, initially for the major inland regulated river valleys and later covering the whole state. The reports include information such as climate, hydrology, environmental aspects, land use, water resources, regulating structures and water resource management.
- Water resources and management overview – Border Rivers catchment (PDF 1.5 MB)
- Water resources and management overview - Gwydir catchment (PDF 3 MB)
- Water resources and management overview - Lachlan catchment (PDF1.6 MB)
- Water resources and management overview – Lower Darling River catchment (PDF 2.4 MB)
- Water resources and management overview - Macquarie-Bogan catchment (PDF 1.4 MB)
- Water resources and management overview – Murrumbidgee catchment (PDF 2.3 MB)
- Water resources and management overview - Namoi catchment (PDF 2.2 MB)