Metering in NSW
All Australian governments have agreed to new national standards for water meters and meter data collection systems through the National Water Initiative.
In 2009, all Australian governments agreed to standards for non urban water through the National Framework for Non Urban Water Metering.
The Framework requires:
- that all non-urban meters shall comply with the national metering standards by 30 June 2020, unless otherwise exempted by the relevant jurisdictional government department or agency
- any meter that is used to take water through a licence from a river or aquifer must comply with the national metering standards by 30 June 2016
- any meter installed after 30 June 2010 must comply with the national metering standards
- any meter installed prior to 1 July 2010 shall be replaced with a compliant meter by 1 July 2020. Replacement shall be undertaken at the earliest opportunity, such as when major maintenance is required on the non-compliant meter.
Find out more about how these metering requirements are being met in NSW:
- NSW Water Extraction Monitoring Policy (PDF 144 KB)
- NSW interim water meter standards
- projects to install government owned meters
Contact us for more information.