Metering/water take assessment charges
The Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal (IPART) determines the metering charges the Department of Primary Industry - Water (DPI Water) can apply. This includes related charges for:
- reading of user owned meters or other assessment of water take
- meter reading and servicing of government owned meters
The main types of metering/water take assessment charges are:
- Meter service charge – recovers part of the costs in operating and maintaining the meter.
- Water take reading/assessment charge – recovers part of the costs where meters are read or water take is otherwise determined. This charge only applies to privately owned meters where the meter is not telemetered and the water take reading is not provided by the customer.
- Ancillary service charge – recovers the costs of meter laboratory verification, meter in-situ validation and meter restarts.
Metering/water take assessment charges are exempt from GST.
If you need to pay a metering/ water take assessment charge, it will appear on your DPI Water bill. This bill is issued by and is payable to WaterNSW. Unregulated river and aquifer access (groundwater) bills are issued annually for the previous financial year.
Regulated river water bills are issued quarterly for the previous quarter. WaterNSW bills regulated river licence holders for any WaterNSW owned meters on their licensed water extraction works at the start of the financial year.
2017-18 metering/water take assessment charges
The current charges for DPI Water determined by IPART commenced 1 July 2017.
The DPI Water metering charges for 1 July 2017 to 30 June 2018 are shown in the table below.
|Meter Service Charges 1 July 2017 to 30 June 2018|
|Meter Size (mm)||Telemetered or agency read sites (annual charge per site)||Non-telemetered sites with customer reading and reporting (annual charge per site)|
The annual water take reading/assessment charge is $200.40.
|Ancillary Service charges 1 July 2017 to 30 June 2018||Charge|
|Meter laboratory verification at request of customer (refundable deposit if meter is tested to be outside the accuracy standard)||$1,811.43|
|Meter in-situ validation charge – where a meter is relocated or disturbed||$248.23|
|Meter Reset fee after suspension of maintenance for a year or more, at customer request||$248.23 (+ costs of parts)|
Information on metering charges for previous financial years:
- Metering charges 2016/17
- Metering charges 2015/16
- Metering charges 2014/15
- Metering charges 2013-14
- Metering charges 2012-13
- Metering charges 2011-12
- Water management fees and charges
- 2-part tariff for water management charges
- Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal - water
Make a metering charge enquiry – have your licence number ready and contact us.
Make a bill payment enquiry – contact WaterNSW.