Application form: Subdividing a water access licence
- Go to Water Applications Online
- Download an application form (PDF 316 KB)
- Guide to the application subdivide a water access licence (PDF 57 KB)
A water access licence can be subdivided to create two or more new water access licences. This may be to just subdivide a licence for trading purposes. Alternatively, you may wish to subdivide and change one or more of the new licences (eg. in preparation for sale). For both options the same application form is used.
You may want to split a water access licence to:
- sell part of the licence while keeping the other part;
- divide the licence for inheritance purposes or as part of divorce arrangements.
Details on the process for this dealing are provided in the section on The dealings process and in the guide provided with the application form. If you have any questions, contact your local licensing office.
Aspects to consider
In subdividing the water access licence into separate licences you will need to consider:
- how the share component will be divided;
- how the water allocation and, where applicable, the carryover water in the existing water account will be distributed; and
- the impact of delayed registration on the distribution of account water, for example new water year and timing of Available Water Determinations.