Snowy Hydro Limited
Snowy Hydro Limited (SHL), the operator of the Snowy Hydro-electric Scheme, was issued with a package of agreements, licences and other regulatory instruments in preparation for corporatisation in 2002. One component of this package was the Snowy Water Licence issued on 30 May 2002 under the Snowy Hydro Corporatisation Act 1997 (NSW).
Snowy Water Licence
The Snowy Water Licence defines SHL's water rights and obligations and strikes a balance between the competing demands for water for hydro-electricity generation and the environment. The licence allows SHL to collect, divert, store, and release water by and from the works of the Snowy Scheme for the 75 year term of the licence. The licence also defines the rules for releases into the Murray and Murrumbidgee Rivers and imposes environmental flow release obligations on SHL for the benefit of the Snowy River and other montane rivers. The current Snowy Water Licence can be accessed from the link below.
- Snowy Water Licence – October 2011 (PDF 371 KB)
Reviews and variations of the licence
The first five-year mandatory review of the licence was concluded in 2010 and a revised licence was issued on 1 May of that year. The next statutory review will be undertaken in 2017. To view documents related to the five-year review, go to Snowy Water Licence – mandatory five-year review.
In 2011, following a period of variable weather patterns, including both extreme drought and above average rainfall, the NSW Office of Water, along with the Victorian and Commonwealth Governments, identified a need to amend certain licence conditions related to management of water that accumulates in Snowy Hydro's storages following an extreme drought period. As part of the process of varying the licence, the public were invited to make written submissions on the proposed variations. In total, 12 submissions were received – view submissions. Following careful consideration of the issues raised, the licence was amended and the variations commenced on 4 October 2011. Documents related to the October 2011 variation can be accessed below.
- Proposed variation to the Snowy Water Licence – Revised requirements for release of water accumulated under dry inflow sequence during drought years (PDF 266 KB)
- Final report - Revision of Snowy Hydro Water Licence - Response to submissions (PDF 433 KB)
- Variation of the Snowy Water Licence - October 2011 (PDF 295 KB)
- Snowy Water Inquiry Outcomes Implementation Deed 2002 (PDF 276 KB)
- Snowy Hydro Corporatisation Act 1997
For information on corporate licences or to report an incident, please call 1800 353 104.
Read more about Snowy Hydro Limited and its operations.
In this section
- Snowy Water Licence - mandatory five-year review
- Five-year review of the Snowy Water Licence - public submissions
- Licence variations proposed in the five-year review – public submissions
- Proposed variations to the Snowy Water Licence 2011 - public submissions
On this page
- Snowy Water Licence
- Reviews and variations of the licence
- More information
- Snowy Flow Response Monitoring and Modelling program
- Returning environmental flows to the Snowy River