Our main categories of approvals that may be granted:
- to construct and use a water supply work (e.g. to install and operate a pump, dam or bore).
Find out more about water supply work approvals.
- to use water for a particular purpose, such as irrigation.
Find out more about water use approvals.
- for certain types of developments and activities carried out in or near a river, lake or estuary.
Find out more about controlled activity approvals.
Flood work approvals
- to construct and use a flood work.
Find out more about flood work approvals.
You can search the online NSW Water Register for information about water supply work approvals and water use approvals. Information includes:
- the approval ID number
- the kind of approval
- the date granted and expiry date
- the description of the authorised activity
- the water source
- the location of the work, use or activity
- the conditions of the approval.
The NSW Water Register also provides a record of applications for approvals. Details include:
- the application ID number
- the date the application was received by the Department
- the water source to which it relates
- the category of approval the applicant is seeking and type of work
- the status of the application.
You can search online for information about approvals on the NSW Water Register. Information on this register ia also available at NSW Office of Water offices. There is no charge to search for information on this register.
The NSW Water Register does not include information about controlled activity approvals. Information publicly available from a register of controlled activity approvals is available at our local offices.
The information is provided consistent with the requirements of section 57 of the Privacy and Personal Information Act 1998.