Legal searches for water related interests
DPI Water provides a service to assist customers to identify water related interests held under the Water Act 1912 and/or the Water Management Act 2000 for specific parcels of land.
These searches are usually undertaken by solicitors acting on behalf of a purchaser to:
- identify any approvals granted under the Water Management Act 2000 or licences issued under the Water Act 1912 which may be associated with the property to be included in the sale and therefore transferred on settlement
- assist the prospective purchaser to evaluate the property as a commercial enterprise
- identify any charges or restrictions associated with the approvals or Water Act 1912 licences associated with the property if these entitlements are to be transferred to the new landholder.
To request a search for water related interests held under the Water Act 1912 and/or the Water Management Act 2000:
- Complete the Application for a search for water-related interests (DOC, 215 KB) form.
- Pay the application fee identified in the following table of fees either by:
- providing your credit card details:
- over the phone by phoning DPI Water on 8838 7572 or 1800 353 104; or by
- posting the completed Credit card payment form (DOC, 147 KB); or
- enclosing a cheque or money order for the application fee made out to DPI Water when posting the hard copy application form.
An application will not be processed until the application fee has been received by DPI Water.
Fees for a water-related interest inquiry vary depending on the processing timeframe you require, as listed in the following table.
Fees for a water related interest inquiry (1 July 2016 – 30 June 2017)
|Processing option|| Fees for searches of up to |
20 land lots
(inclusive of GST)
| Fees for searches of up to |
20 additional land lots
on the same application form
(inclusive of GST)
(within 10 working days)
(within 5 working days)
(within 24 hours on a business day)
* If you require priority or urgent processing of the application email the form and pay the application fee by phoning us with your credit card details.
3. Submit the completed and signed application form either by:
- emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org; or
- posting it to WaterSearch, DPI Water, Locked Bag 5123, Parramatta NSW 2124.
Water access licences granted under the Water Management Act 2000 are separate from land ownership and are listed on a public Water Access Licence Register maintained by Land and Property Information.
- Call our Water Advisory Services team on 1800 353 104 or
- Email email@example.com