New plumbing and drainage regulatory arrangements

On 1 January 2013, NSW Fair Trading became the single plumbing and drainage regulator for all on-site plumbing and drainage work in NSW.

For more information go to the NSW Fair Trading website or email

Liquid trade waste

Plumbing work for liquid trade waste installations must now comply with the Plumbing Code of Australia and Australian Standard AS 3500 Part 2 Sanitary Plumbing and Drainage.

In non-metropolitan areas in NSW, local councils regulate any trade waste discharge to their sewerage systems. Council approval is required under section 68 of the Local Government Act 1993 for any discharge, other than domestic sewage, to the sewerage system.

Council requirements for trade waste discharges into sewerage systems need to be in accordance with the Liquid Trade Waste Regulation Guidelines (PDF 3.1 MB).

The guidelines also provide important information for plumbers, including sizing and installation requirements for pre-treatment equipment (see Appendix F 'Overview of common methods of liquid trade waste pre-treatment' on pages 239 to 273 and 288 to 302).

Prohibited waste discharge

Plumbers should note that the Liquid Trade Waste Regulation Guidelines prohibit waste discharge from the following devices to any council sewerage system (see page 171):

  • Food waste disposal units – the connection of food waste disposal units (also known as in-sinkerators, in-sink food waste disposers, or garbage grinders) in non-residential premises to a council's sewerage system is not permitted. Existing installations in hospitals and nursing homes may be permitted to remain connected, provided the wastewater is pre-treated by an adequately sized grease arrestor.
  • Devices that macerate or pulverise waste – macerators and any other similar devices that are used for pulverising solid waste must not be connected by trade waste dischargers to a council's sewerage system. Solid waste includes, but is not limited to, animal waste, sanitary napkins, placenta, surgical waste and disposable nappies, bedpans and urine containers.

Documents and forms

Thermostatic mixing valves – commissioning and maintenance

Thermostatic mixing valve commissioning and/or maintenance report forms may be obtained from the Office of Water by calling 1800 353 104.

Backflow prevention devices – testing and maintenance

Water supply and sewerage service providers may require the installation of backflow prevention devices. Report forms for the testing and maintenance of backflow prevention devices may be obtained as follows:

More information on plumbing matters


Please contact NSW Fair Trading at

Liquid trade waste

Please refer to liquid trade waste.